I released a version of this matrix on December 6, 2013. I'm re-releasing it now. Why? Obviously, because I think this release represents a serious improvement over the first. Unlike in the cases of my other re-releases, however, this time I have no good excuse: I simply screwed up the first one. I apologize for inflicting it on the trading community: it's a mess. I was experimenting with new plug-ins, and things got wildly out of hand. I have instituted new quality-control mechanisms to ensure that such botched jobs don't make it into circulation in the future.
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 8 (Matrix)
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- A night of missed cues and half-starts! Jerry tries to jump straight from "Mississippi Half-Step" to "High Time"; Bobby tries to start up "The Other One" after "Maggie's Farm," and then he tries to segue back into "Playin' in the Band" after "Black Peter."
- Q: Why do the two sets use different audience sources? A: I initially decided to use the Watson source, which I think has a nice full sound to it. I did all the prep work for the first set before discovering that the second set of the source has speed-and-pitch problems that make is less desirable than the Gidley source, which I nearly decided to use in the first place. Rather than scrapping all the work I'd done on the first set, I decided to keep it and just toss in the Gidley source for the second set. I did what I could to make the sound uniform across the sets; I think the results are pretty good.
- I used some crowd-noise from the Gidley AUD in the first set, to fill in some blanks.
- I only retain between-song crowd-noise from AUD sources. This means that some 'dead air' was cut from the SBD and some fades were added.
- Unfortunately, the SBD is riddled with problems. (1) It repeats a second or so of "High Time," which I cut. (2) There's a hum and hiss throughout, which I couldn't get rid of. It's only really noticeable between songs and on headphones, so don't worry about it too much. (3) There are various anomalies, some of which I couldn't fix. ("Box of Rain" is particularly afflicted.) I did what I could to make them as unobtrusive as possible. (4) I evened-out the levels in the second set. (5) The mix leaves something to be desired in places: Brent is too loud during "Big River"; Bobby's vocals are too loud during "Playin'"; Bobby's guitar is too loud at various places; et al. Obviously, there was little I could do about any of this.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected the SBD using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
- I ran the SBD and the Watson AUD through iZotope RX 3's Declip function.
- I converted the Gidley source from 24/48 to 16/44.1 using iZotope RX 3.
December 16, 2013